Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Living Local: Quick Farmer's Market Meals

I work a 9 to 5 and often do not feel motivated to spend a long time in the kitchen prepping lunch or making dinner after work. It's also been so dang hot and the thought of heating the oven for an hour makes my sweat glands and thermostat go into overload.

For lunch and snacks, I've been making a lot of Green Smoothies. These are a great way to eat more fruits and veggies, and are convenient for those of us who eat while doing other things (working, driving, or other inadequate forms of multi-tasking). My general recipe is a handful of green leafy veggies (local kale, spinach, romaine, or celery), a banana or other very sweet fruit, and one other fruit such as berries. Blend the greens with 8 oz. water, and then throw in the banana and other fruit. Voila! You'll have some cool sweet goodness to cart along for a mid-morning snack or light lunch.

Tonight, I had my aspirations set on a clean-out-the-fridge crustless quiche, but I got home too late to let it bake for 40 minutes and heat up my semi-cool kitchen. I've always been one to follow recipes, but lately I've been a bit more avant-guard with my dishes:

I greased a microwave-safe dish and mixed together four beaten eggs, a handful of cheese, some local kale & tempeh, and a few spices. Microwave for 7-8 one minute intervals, and enjoy a quick, inexpensive, and semi-local meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment