Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homemade Habits: Hot Pockets

I love convenience foods, but I've always felt guilty buying Hot Pockets, meal replacement bars & drinks, and sodium-filled instant soups. Instead, my goal is to stock my cupboard and freezer with higher quality items that offer a similar level of convenience and better taste.

Yesterday's experiment was homemade Hotpockets. I used the recipe posted on the Our Best Bites blog.

For filler, I used local tempeh and shredded mozzarella cheese.

Before...














The recipe called for me to bake them for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, but since I was using a toaster oven I baked them longer at 20-25 minutes.














The end result was pretty tasty - but bland. I should have chopped the tempeh into smaller chunks, added an additional sauce and more cheese. I froze the leftover eight pockets, and I hope these will be a convenient fast food to grab for work. I'll experiment with different fillings (apple and brie, cheese and broccoli...yum!).

Next up, homemade baked doughnuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment