Thursday, August 5, 2010

Homemade Habits: Natural Deodorant

As I'm experimenting with being more natural and thrifty/cheap, I'm slowly replacing my products with homemade alternatives. This morning's experiment was replacing my spray antiperspirant. I checked out Janice Cox's book Natural Beauty at Home and intend to slowly recreate many of the simple recipes in this book. However, for today's potion I followed this recipe.

I combined the following in a clean spray bottle:

1/8 c. vodka
1/4 c. water
3 T. witch hazel
5-10 drops of essential oil (I used a lavender/tea tree oil mix I found at Ward's)

I found it very easy to make and was surprisingly not offensive (at least odor-wise) when I got home from a very hot bike ride.

I'm looking forward to No More Dirty Looks (a book about the toxicity of OTC cosmetics) and plan on buying or checking it out from the library soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment